December 1, 2009

Cold Car

Seatbelt. Check. Mirrors. Check. Gas gauge, oil pressure. Check. I had scraped the ice off my windshield, put my boots in the trunk and was ready to head out on the road. I stepped on the gas. My RMP gauge started rising, but nothing else was happening. I pushed on the gas harder. My RPM jumped to 3,000 then 4,000. I knew something was wrong, just not exactly what. I stepped out of my car, into the winter air.

“Dad!”  I ran into the house. “My car won’t go!” “What do you mean?” my dad asked. “It just won’t go.” I repeated. Knowing he would find out what was wrong, I took off in another car. When I returned home later that day, my dad had found the solution to why my car “wouldn’t go”. I had started my car a few minutes before I wanted to leave since it was in the winter and below 20 degrees. Dad had checked the fluids under my trunk and discovered my transmission fluid was low. This was causing my transmission to slip. The cold weather only made it worse. Adding the fluid and letting my car warm up for 10 minutes made all the difference in the world. With winter nearly on us, winterizing vehicles is very important. Go to this site for more information on preparing for winter driving.

photo credit: www.cars.justelite.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/_carsf004.jpg